Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Sucker

I am a sucker for the "violins and pianos addition" thing to a good rock song. A few examples: "November Rain" by Guns-N-Roses. "Wonderwall" by Oasis. "Epic" by Faith No More. I swear, they crank up a violin or piano, and I am putty in their hands. For some reason, it gives it a bittersweet quality. I turn the radio up, zone out and feel melancholy for awhile. My latest is "I Miss You" by Blink 182.

Another similiar quality to all of these songs is that they also have lyrics which don't mean anything. HOWEVER, same thing. They just get me and I sit there teary-eyed feeling like they are speaking right to me. Examples:

"And after all, you're my wonderwall." (What the hell is a "wonderwall"?)
"Don't waste your time on me, you're already the voice inside my head." (Doesn't really mean anything but Blink 182 says it so passionately that I believe them.)
"If you could heal a broken heart, wouldn't time be out to charm you?" (Axel, sorry, but you are smoking crack.)

And I've never understood "Epic" but dadgum if those pianos at the end make me listen to the entire song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home