Wednesday, October 27, 2004

More Thoughts on the Election

It's interesting that the two most recent controversial topics on my blog were about the election and baby wipes warmers. Could we draw a parallel between the state of the American voting process and poop? I don't know.

The election is nearing. I've decided who I am going to vote for (but I'm keeping it to myself, thank you.) I had coffee with a good friend last Friday night and she's in the same predicament as me. She said, "What's a compassionate conservative to do?" She also has had people scoldingly say to her, "I don't see how you could be this close to the election and not know who to vote for." Her answer is, "I don't see how you could be this close to the election and KNOW who to vote for." I don't know how to see the world in strict black and white. There are so many shades of gray. And opinions on how gray they are. Or if they are even gray to begin with. Sometimes, the gray turns out to be a bright red.

Separately, she and I had both come to the same voting resting place, though. Begrudingly. I've got a couple of blacks and whites that I suppose I cannot part with.

But it just pisses me off sometimes. Voting should not have to be determining which candidate/party makes you cringe the least. It reminds me of a Simpson's Halloween episode where Kang and Kodos (the two aliens) take over the bodies of Clinton and Dole during the 1996 election. Right before the election, it is revealed that they are, in fact, aliens. Kang laughs and says, "What you going to do about it? It's a two party system! You've got to vote for one of us!" Later it shows everyone, including the Simpsons, doing slave labor on a chain gang under the rule of President Kang. Marge complains about the earth's plight and Homer says, "Don't blame me. I voted for Kudos."

Well, I guess I'm gonna hafta suck it up and vote for one of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home