Sunday, September 28, 2003

I am seriously considering giving away my dog. You have no idea how hard it is for me to consider this...I have always been of the belief that your pet is your responsibility. Period. No handing it off. I am an animal rights activist. I can usually make friends with any animal-regardless of bad attitude and hygiene (the dog's-not mine). I love pretty much all animals, including snakes and spiders. So here I am, fierce animal lover, sitting here, debating what to do about Squirrel.

The thing is, I was around some other dogs this weekend, or the owners of said dogs. And I found myself saying, over and over, "That's the dog I should've gotten. I'm so jealous." Sigh. Other people have dogs who are house-trainable. By six weeks old. My dumb dog is 10 months old and it's a battle every day. Other people have dogs who can be left alone for five minutes and can be trusted to not chew a hole in the carpet of their new home. Other people have dogs who are endearing and love everyone they meet. I, on the other hand, have a persnickety dog who likes about four people in this universe.

I've just been thinking about things I need to get finished in this life, and I am not sure that I am going to get any of them done because I spend most of my time chasing after a high-strung chihuahua. It's totally different with my cats. My only two issues with them are stinky litter and fluffs of cathair flying up my nose. The rest of the time, they are a joy.

Am I a bad person for wanting to give him to another home? Then I think, "You know, maybe he will be happier in a different home. One where he isn't crated all day. One with another dog to romp with." But I know that we have a great home for a dog. It's just me.

Argh. I don't know what to do. Jason is no help. He doesn't think we need to even consider it because he loves the dog...but I'm the one who takes him out to pee at three in the morning, cleans up his messes and watches after him. Jason has no trouble getting upset with me when Squirrel misbehaves, but when the responsibility comes, I am the one picking the poo off the floor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home