Saturday, September 27, 2003

I went to the reunion.

But I wore the skimpiest, sexiest, most uncomfortable panties that I own, just to keep me grounded in reality.

My friend, Casey, called me an hour before the dinner to coerce me into coming and I caved. Jason went grumbling all the way. But you know what? I had a really good time. It was good to talk to people about how awful our class was (among other thing, felonies were committed by members of our class at different points of time.) I laughed a whole lot. Lots of people seemed geniunely happy to see me, and I found myself feeling geniunely happy to see them. The interesting thing was, I don't really know any of these people anymore so I could have spent the whole time talking to anyone there...but I ended up gravitating to the people that I hung out with before. But not because of any loyalties; only because I was truly having fun with them. And a couple of people, like my friend Marla, I found myself thinking, "She's so cool...now why didn't I hang out with her more?" I found myself wanting to stay in touch. Another girl, who graduated two years prior to me, named Lori, married a guy in our class. Since she was a senior when I was a sophomore, I had always watched her from afar, thinking how beautiful and cool she was. She sat at our table and we seemed to click. I made her laugh alot and inside, I was this 15 year old, thinking giddily, "I'm making Lori Rhodes LAUGH! Look at me!!!"

It was fascinating to get Jason's take on the whole shindig afterwards. He's a counselor, so he studies people all day long. He was really bored. But he noticed some things in others that I had never noticed. One guy, who was always a sarcastic punk and still is, Jason really liked. I never really thought much about it, but I found myself liking him also, in spite of myself. Jason also said, "I can tell which ones were truly your friends." It's true. Most people are like, "Hey, howya doin'." Awkward silence. But then, others, I felt like I could have talked to them all night.

It's weird to see how people turned out. We're all these little adults now. Most with kids at home. Some people turned out how I thought: Marla is a doctor, Tiffany is a kindergarten teacher, Lucy is a volleyball coach, Casey is a drama teacher, etc. etc. Some people turned out a lot better than I thought they would-- one guy is a toy designer, another is becoming a minister. But then some people, who had all the chances in the world, turned into potheads. Or as Tiffany refered to our friend, John, "The new Unibomber."

All in all, I'm glad that I went; I feel a reconciling with my past. Boy, it's been a strange couple of weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home