Monday, March 28, 2005

Back to Ugh.

I have a 101 degree fever again. I don't see how, because I am taking enough antibiotics for a mule.

I kind of thought it was coming back, because last night, my mind was spinning with so many things, I couldn't sleep. Usually I am out as soon as my head hits the pillow. When I am sick, my head gets obsessive. I don't know if anyone else is like that. It was spinning about my car, Anna, money, work, breastmilk, my burning boobs. I just couldn't turn it off.

One thing all that obsessing did get me was a possible answer for some of Anna's problems. (I obsessed online until midnight.) I am now pretty sure that I have a foremilk/hindmilk inbalance, or "oversupply syndrome colic." I kept reading about reflux, and it didn't seem quite right. But this oversupply fits perfectly. I've always known that I am a big milk producer, (I usually get twice as much as she needs-- hence the 100 bags of breastmilk in my shrinking freezer) but I thought it was a good thing. But apparently, it is not neccesarily, because I am producing too much foremilk.

I have been making sure I completely empty my breasts for the past few days, to get all the hindmilk. Then I put it in the fridge to coagulate. I guess most women's milk separates into about 1/4 hindmilk. Well, all I get is a tiny microscopic film on the top. It's always been this way, but I thought I was normal.

[The symptoms fit perfectly: appears colicky, fussy, gassy, burps "like an adult" or burps poorly, passes large amounts of flatus, spits up frequently (often appears to be large amounts), gains weight quickly, grunts frequently between feedings, may have hyperactive bowel sounds, wants to nurse very frequently, has a stuffy nose after feedings, has many (10-15) wet diapers per day, frequent diarrhea like green stools that may appear slimy and have and acrid smell due to fermentation of lactose in the infant gut, constant diaper rash.

And I have: persistent sore nipples, pain deep in the breast between feedings which may be from nerve irritation, repeated engorgement, plugged ducts and/or mastitis.]

The problem is what to do about it. All the solutions that I've read have to do with getting to the hindmilk, but I don't seem to be making any, for some reason.

Honestly, I'm getting closer and closer to just giving up this whole stinkin' mess and going to formula.

Bah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home