Sunday, March 20, 2005

Drugs

Someone, awhile back, asked me to say something about my pregnancy and anti-depressants. As I have a few moments right now, I thought I would expound on the subject.

Back when I was first starting to try to get preggers, I was on Lexapro, an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.) Most of the new anti-depressants fall into this category-- Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, etc. They are Class C drugs for pregnancy, which means they are thought to be safe, but the researchers don't have enough long term studies to rule for sure. I had been on these type anti-depressants since 1998.

Midway through my pursuit of pregnancy, I decided to switch to Wellbutrin. Mainly for an improved libido (and how), but also because it is a Class B drug (it's not an SSRI.) After I got through the nasty start-up effects, I loved Wellbutrin and have been very happy with it.

I thought long and hard about quitting vs. staying on anti-depressants, with regard to pregnancy and breastfeeding. But when it came down to it, the benefits, for both Anna and I, greatly outweighed the risks. Researchers are pretty darn sure that there is no risk to the baby, and I was pretty darn sure that I would wind up with post-partum depression if I didn't take them.

It's a personal decision, to be sure, but I don't regret taking them in the least. Anna is just better off with a rational, non-depressed mother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home