Thursday, March 31, 2005

Interesting Development

The other day, Julie at A Little Pregnant discussed the fact that her four month old son has just now figured out how to latch. This afternoon, grumbling at the thought of attaching my breasts to that infernal machine yet again, I thought, "What the heck" and put Anna up to my breast.

And the child latched on and started sucking like there was no tomorrow.

I thought, "Hmmmmm, interesting. But it was probably a one time occurance." I tried again an hour later, and she did it again. And then the rest of the afternoon. I am in a state of shock.

There are a couple of big differences. For one thing, it hurts this time. It feels like my nipples are being sucked off. I'm assuming that is what it was supposed to feel like from the beginning. She is also gulping and swallowing. She even spit up milk. Also different than before.

I was afraid to call Jason to tell him because of the hell I put him through eight weeks ago. I knew he'd think I was nuts for even trying. I was right. He said skeptically, "Did your mother put you up to this?" (She didn't, although she was very proud of Anna despite being a "slow learner," as she put it.) Then he said, "Well, go ahead, but I am not dealing with any more emotional breakdowns."

So there is where that is. I am treading very lightly, and not building up my expectations. But right now, she is sleeping peacefully in front of Baby Mozart with a full tummy.

For Pete's sake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home