Sunday, April 17, 2005

Old

My 30th birthday is next week. I ran into an old friend of mine at Wal-Mart today, who I dated one summer back in college. As he left, he said, "Happy Birthday!" I was shocked that he remembered, but then recalled that he has a near-photographic memory.

Anyway, as I was driving home, the thought occured to me that we dated over ten years ago. Ten years? TEN years? Was I really that old?

Yes, I have decided. I am that old. I feel old. Not "old" like "poor over-the-hill me." Just older. Older is a good thing. I'm not really complaining. It's just strange.

I started thinking about other things happening lately that have also made me feel old. So, here is:

"Ellen's List of Things That Make Her Feel Old"

1. Having a baby, obviously. I am still sort of in disbelief, though. Sometimes I wonder, who would give me sole responsibility of another tiny being? Again, not complaining. It's just strange.

2. "I Love The '90's" on VH1. Puh-lease, I thought, when I saw it for the first time. That was like yesterday. Then I saw the "I Love '91" episode. Har har, I laughed, they think grunge is old. But then I realized, that was fourteen years ago! I went to my closet that afternoon and finally put all my flannel shirts in the Give Away box.

3. A girl that I used to babysit (I remember when she was born) asked me if she could drive over and babysit Anna sometime.

4. Snoop Doggy Dogg. When gangsta rap first came out, it scared the tar out of me. Snoop Dogg included. I just watched some program on E! where he was coaching his son's football team. What?! And I read that the Green Day guys all have wives and kids.

5. 40 year old women. 40 used to be so old. I now have 40 year old friends. And they aren't old at all. They shop at the Gap, for pete's sake.

6. My mom is starting to remind me of my grandma, and I am starting to sound like my mother.

7. ....

...I had other things to add to the list, but I forgot them. Again, another sign that I am old. Also, I am tired and need to go to bed. Old old old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home