Monday, February 23, 2004

I have a new favorite band--Everclear. They've been around for awhile, and I always liked their songs on the radio ("Daddy Gave Me A Name", "AM Radio" and "Wonderful"), but Jason and I have only recently "discovered" them. We love their album, "So Much For the Afterglow." So Jason ordered the rest of them from BMG. Right now, I am digesting their album, "Songs From An American Movie, Pt.1." (not really songs from an American movie. Just the name of the album.)

The reason I love them is thus: I have never heard such raw, frank emotions expressed in song. They aren't saying the f-word just to say the f-word. They are saying it with their soul. And for that, I respect them, and say "Go right ahead and drop a few more f-bombs." Some of their lyrics that I enjoy are as follows:

"She's perfect, in a f*cked up way."

"The Prozac doesn't do it for me anymore."

"She looks like a teenage anthem
and she looks like she could have been happy in another life."

"I know there is nothing perfect,
I know there is nothing new.
We are just learning
How to live together
Me and you."

"I wish that I could find the words to tell,
In the best way possible...
You and your friends to go to hell."

"You are quite alot of trouble
for such a skinny little girl."

"Just take your pill
and everything will be alright."

And so on and so forth.

I forgot to tell about my little experience in church on Sunday. I have never been so offended. We were taking communion (the one thing I hold dear above all the church crap that I can't stand) and I was sitting next to this family--father, mother and five year old boy. First off, the kid is a total wigglewart, which I can usually put up with, although for the life of me, I don't understand why these parents don't
a) plant your child's butt firmly in his chair and put the fear of God in him, or
b) take him to the nursery.
Anyway, along comes communion. The mother proceeds to get her communion pieces (little cup of grape juice and small wafer, for those of you who are non-churchgoing) off the tray, then actually grabs a small handful of wafers for her son to munch on!!!! I just about fell over. First of all (and here I go, so if you don't want a rant, then skip this part) I believe that communion is sacred. That is the representation of my Lord's body and blood that I am taking (some even believe that it actually becomes the body and blood) and this lady is using it as a snack to keep her son quiet! Personally, I've always felt that a child should not take communion. It is not something that you do until you know what it means and you have made the decision to follow Christ. I will grant that some parents disagree with me, that they are raising their children in God's family, and therefore want all of their family to take communion together. Okay, I'll give you that. I can understand that. But then, you need to use the experience to teach the child what it means to take communion and how special it is.

Communion is not a snack!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home