Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Sling/Carrier Advice

So, I've decided to purchase yet another carrier.

I bought a Baby Bjorn several years ago, at the beginning of our baby-making adventure, because my dear then-pregnant, OCD-tinged friend Shelley had researched carriers ad nausem and decided that Bjorns were the best. So trusting Shelley's obsessive-compulsive internet research, I bought one as well. It was fine when Anna was a month old or so. It didn't kill my back because she was so little, and she faced me and fell asleep. Well, now she doesn't want to face in, doesn't want to sleep and it hurts my back. Plus, that thing is a pain to get on and off.

I also have a New Native tube sling. A few weeks before Anna was born, I researched slings and decided to try one. I quickly decided a few must-haves and must-not-haves. First, no funky Guatemalan-type prints. (Nothing personal, but it's just not me. I am just not very granola. I dress very plainly actually. Solid colored T-shirts, jeans, khakis, brown shoes. I've tried to branch out but the clothes just sit in my closet. If I got a funky one, I wouldn't use it. One exception: I like satin-y, batick-y Asian fabric. I could do that.) Second, it's got to be very easy to use. No weird knots and wrapping me up like a burrito. That's why I picked the New Native. It is khaki (!) and a basic tube to slip the baby in. Perfect, right? Wrong. I gave birth to a very alert baby who likes to be sitting upright on my hip, not all snuggley in a bag.

So, back to the drawing board. I am eventually going to have to attempt shopping with the child. She HATES being in her infant seat; she has to be looking around in my arms to be content. I am thinking about The Hip Baby or The Mei Tai Baby. They say that the hip carriers are for six months and older, but she has good head control, and sits on my hip anyway.

Any advice is appreciated!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home