Monday, March 08, 2004

I've been downloading new ringtones for my cell phone. I just got "Cannonball" by the Breeders. Does anyone remember them? Around 1993. I think they had like two hits. I wonder what happened to them. The band included two sisters, I remember. I think one of them was arrested on drug possession at some point.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about all that music that I used to listen to in college. Looking back, my college life had a definite soundtrack to it. Lots of "alternative" music: Liz Phair, the Sugarcubes, They Might Be Giants, Bjork, P.J. Harvey, Oasis, Garbage, Blur (I was in Europe during my Blur phase- they were huge over there and nobody here knows them), the Cranberries, Radiohead, Driven N Cryin', Sting and the Police (who I fell in love with in 1995--even now when I see him, I get all gooshy inside), Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Everything But the Girl....I can't even remember half of the stuff I used to listen to.

The point of this train of thought is that I gave all of that music up. I finally got my depression under control in 1998, when I finally went on Prozac, and decided that my music wasn't good for me. I thought that it was contributing to my depression (which it very well could have been) so I sold most of my CDs or gave them away. I set about listening to mainly Christian music and light pop. Which is all well and good, and for the time, it was good for me. But it didn't inspire me at all.

So I decided screw it. Lately, I've started listening to my angry rock again. I've decided that it doesn't depress me. It actually makes me feel better because I know that there are other people out there who are angry like me, or sad like me, or confused like me. So I'm glad it's back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home