Friday, May 14, 2004

Pigtail Perceptions

I'm going to talk about something very controversial here. Pigtails.

Not on the actual pig, but on grown women. Now, I know that there are women out there who are going to adamently disagree with this, but here I go anyway. Pigtails on grown women give me the heebie-jeebies. Perhaps it is because I had a Southern male friend of mine tell me once that, in his opinion, all women should wear pigtails because it makes them look adorable. This is also the male that would love for the South to rise again, but that's another story.

Whenever I see grown women (and for this discussion, I am counting any girl above the age of 15) wearing their hair in pigtails, I want to sit them down and have a talk with them. First of all, men have a hard enough time not seeing women as "girls" or "gals" or delicate little cutsie waifs who desperately need a man to shelter them. Pigtails do not do much to help this stereotype. Second of all, I wonder if these women secretly want men to see them this way, in which case there is a whole jar of subconscious pickles to open.

Ponytails do not bother me in the least. In fact, it is usually how I wear my hair. But, for some reason, when you divide it in two, a new perception is born. Whether or not you'd like to admit it, you are a schoolgirl again. And there's a lot of men out there who have some not-so-innocent schoolgirl fantasies. The thing is, most of the "gals" that I know that keep wearing their hair this way, particularily on Fridays for some reason, don't seem aware of any of this. Maybe that makes it ever the more enticing.

Frankly, I don't know. But that's my opinion.

Other news: I'm leaving for New York City tomorrow. My dog hasn't had her puppies yet. I have bug bites all over my body, and I am out of anti-itch bug bite gel, so I actually dabbed Vagisil on my bites this morning. It worked, but I feel sort of guilty about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home