Wednesday, January 28, 2004

I have decided that I do not like getting in trouble. Even if it is over a tiny thing that is not a big deal. My boss called me into his office and told me that our big boss thought my cell phone was too loud and needed to be on vibrate. That's fine, but why the "Ellen, can I speak to you for a minute?" Just come tell me my phone is too loud. The truth is...I get one call a day. Tops. And people usually laugh when it goes off, because it plays an old disco song. I felt so bad, though. I hate getting in trouble!

I feel like all the bosses are cracking down around here. It's been a really tense year-- lots of change, lots of people leaving, lots of disgruntlement. My friend just got a really rough PDP (evaluation lingo) before lunch. She was pretty ruffled by it. Her boss is right out of "Office Space." By the book. My friend has worked here for six years and has always had glowing PDPs. All of a sudden, bam. All this stuff comes out of left field. She was like, "Why didn't you discuss this stuff with me before now?" One of the complaints was that my friend questions her boss in meetings, or "puts her on the spot." (Which I think is such a dumb complaint. If this manager can't handle being put on the spot, this manager should find a new job other than being a manager.) She also is apparently "too assertive." Which is also a load of crap because if we were at any other company, other than a Christian company, being an assertive woman would be an asset. The whole thing chaffs me.

I think that the Powers That Be are starting to realize that they've got to squash the whispers of discord that are brewing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home