Monday, January 19, 2004

Would you rather be understood or be loved? Years ago, I read that question in Parade's Ask Marilyn Vos Savant (the woman with the highest IQ.) She said, "I don't give a flip about being understood, but I love to be loved!" I cut it out and taped it on my refrigerator for a long time. I don't know the answer. I would say "Both" of course, but I figure that's cheating.

In high school/college, I would have said "Understood." But now...probably "Loved." Like, last night, I was feeling pretty down. Thankfully, Jason knows when he needs to say "Suck it up, woman" and when he needs to be kind to me. I guess when he came home last night, he could tell it was a kindness night. He sat on the couch with me and told me that I could be depressed whenever I wanted to. I felt loved, and I needed it.

But sometimes, I just need to pour out my soul and have someone nod in understanding or say, "Yes! That's it exactly!" or stay up until 4am with me, justing doing the Secret Frog Call. Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed by the need to be understood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home