Friday, January 30, 2004

We watched the movie, "Seabiscuit," last night. I really didn't want to watch it--the only horse movie I do is "The Man From Snowy River." But it was actually quite good! I love redemptive movies. Jason said we should buy it. That and "Shawshank Redemption."

Here is Ellen's List of Favorite Inspiring Movies:

The Natural- Glenn Close is my favorite character because she knows that she has to let the love of her life go chase his dreams in order for him to truly be hers.
Fly Away Home- I cry so hard at the end when that Mary Chapin Carpenter song comes on and she's landing in South Carolina with her geese.
Sabrina- I like the Julia Ormond version. I saw it at a time in my life when I identified so much with Sabrina going off to find herself, then having to rediscover it all again once she got back home.
Strictly Ballroom- "A Life Lived in Fear Is A Life Half Lived." I just liked the dancing when I first saw the movie, but the more I watch it, the more I love the moral of the story.
The Lord of the Rings trilogy- Duh. I know. But it surprises me how many times I find my thoughts drifting back to the story. Some characters I just love because they embody what I want to be: fearless, assassin-like Legolas, wise Galadriel, loyal Sam. But there are a few characters that I find myself identifying with every day: patient, broken-hearted Arwen and mostly, Eowyn-- wanting a life that is not hers, and having to summon the strength to become what she really is.
Orange County- odd one to be on an "inspiring" list, I know, but check it out. It's all about sprouting up wherever you are planted.

I'm sure there are many others. I just can't think of them right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home